New York Fire Pump: 5 Tips for Apartment Fire Safety
June 28th, 2022
Did you know that there were 86,000 apartment fires in 2020? According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), local fire departments responded to around 1.4 million fires in the U.S. These fires were responsible for 3,500 civilian deaths and 15,200 injuries. And property damage was projected to be $21.9 billion. The point is that apartment buildings need to take fire protection systems and NYC Fire Pumps seriously.
To help you get a better idea of fire safety, below are a few apartment fire safety tips that will keep your premise safe and secure during a potential fire threat.
- Stay PreparedThe greatest way to manage a fire emergency is by implementing good fire protection practices, such as figuring out the location of the manual fire alarms and learning how to activate them if necessary. Keep in mind that it’s not wise to assume that a fire emergency will never take place. So, familiarize yourself with an evacuation plan, so you’ll be ready in the event of a fire emergency. You can talk to your property owner or apartment manager about their fire evacuation plan. If they have any, just familiarize yourself with a safe path of egress.
- Invest in Sprinkler SystemsMost apartment buildings, including high-rise buildings, usually require full sprinkler protection. This is why it’s essential to invest in a New York Fire Pump and sprinkler system to reduce the risk of fire spreading throughout the apartment building. Also, when you are looking for an apartment, prioritize buildings that have jockey fire pumps, sprinkler systems, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers. Be sure to bring up any fire safety concerns you have before signing the lease.
- Install Fire Detection SystemsIn addition to the New York Fire Pump, fire detection systems should be installed on every floor of your apartment building. These systems or devices include smoke alarms that must be tested at least twice a year, using the test device placed on the smoke alarm or any other test method. Perform a visual check to make sure the smoke alarm is not obstructed in any case. Also, check whether the batteries are leaking or not and change them once or twice a year.
- Memorize All ExitsOnce you get a diagram of the apartment building, memorize the closest exit. Take different paths to know how to easily reach that exit. Also, have a ‘plan B’ if your closest exit is blocked by smoke, fire, or debris. Knowing multiple exits will give you a better chance to escape the apartment building safely. Another way is to keep fire extinguishers on hand to stop minor fires before they become major.
- Be Aware of Emergency ContactsHaving emergency contacts like your fire department, ambulance services, and hospitals is handy. So, save them on your mobile phone and tag them properly. Make sure you can easily find or access these numbers during a fire emergency. Also, keep a list of important contacts in your apartment.
As mentioned above, installing fire protection systems is imperative in all apartment buildings, considering the various fire disasters people face. We provide apartment buildings with quality New York Fire Pumps that can ably fit any fire protection system or apartment building. Whether you are looking for diesel fire pumps or jockey fire pumps, everything is covered here at Callaghan pump.
For more details regarding New York Fire Pumps, contact us.